Sideswipe Auto Accidents
At first, a Bergen County sideswipe collision may not seem like the sort of catastrophic accident that would require you or your loved one to incur significant expenses. Whether caused by a car merging into your lane without looking or intentionally by an angry and hostile driver, a sideswipe collision can easily cause you to lose control of your vehicle and crash into another obstruction or vehicle. In this way, sideswipe collisions can be the cause of serious injuries to you and your loved ones. You may not have to bear the financial costs that accompany such a horrific accident if another negligent or careless Bergen County driver is responsible for the sideswipe collision.
Aside from your health, your financial security and peace of mind is of the utmost importance following a sideswipe collision. Without adequate compensation for your injuries and losses, you may find it difficult to meet your medical needs and expenses while coping with a temporary or permanent reduction in income. Turn to the experienced and talented team of attorneys at Aretsky Law Group, P.C. to help you navigate this difficult period in your life and emerge in as strong of a financial position as possible.Bergen County Sideswipe Collisions Often Lead to Catastrophic Results
Because some vehicles (especially older vehicles) lack safety equipment that specifically protects drivers and passengers from sideswipe collisions, you or your loved one may be seriously injured in a sideswipe collision even if you are able to maintain control of your vehicle. Some of these injuries can include:
- Crushing injuries / amputations , if the force of the sideswipe collision causes an arm or a leg, a hand or a foot to become crushed between the door and some other part of the vehicle. The loss of use of an important part of your body can cause significant physical pain as well as emotional turmoil and depression. Not only this, but you may find it difficult (or impossible) to return to your former occupation.
- Spine and/or neck injuries , caused primarily by the forces involved in a sideswipe collision. Just as is true in a head-on or rear-end collision, when a sideswipe collision occurs your spinal column and spinal cord are subjected to unnatural forces that can damage – sometimes severely and irreparably – the spinal cord. If this occurs, your mobility may be permanently impacted.
- Cuts, lacerations, and bruising caused from broken glass, sharp metal edges, and/or your head and/or other body parts being slammed against the interior of the car. Some of these cuts and bruises may heal on their own; however, cuts and lacerations that are deep may require prompt medical attention in order to reduce the likelihood of infection.
The more serious the injury sustained in a sideswipe collision, the more likely it is that your medical bills and expenses – along with your period of recovery – will be considerable as well. While a Bergen County sideswipe collision attorney cannot make your physical recovery proceed any more quickly, your attorney can help ensure that you have the financial means you need to address your economic and noneconomic losses, expenses, and injuries.Frequently Asked Questions About Bergen County Sideswipe Collisions
Many victims of sideswipe collisions in Bergen County have questions about their cases and their legal rights. Some common questions include:
- How Quickly After a Sideswipe Collision Should I Seek Legal Representation?
New Jersey Statutes Section 2A:14-2(a) only gives you two years from the date of your collision to initiate a lawsuit for compensation. While this may seem like a considerable amount of time, in truth this time period can pass very quickly. The best solution is to contact an attorney as soon as possible so that your case can be filed well before this two-year period elapses.
- What if I am the Victim of a Hit-And-Run Sideswipe Collision?
If another driver in Bergen County collided with you and then drove off, the information about the driver’s appearance and/or the vehicle which struck you may be helpful in locating the at-fault driver. The sooner you speak with your attorney and/or law enforcement, the more likely it is that the at-fault driver can be located.
- Can I Still Recover Compensation if I was At-Fault, too?
So long as your own carelessness or negligence was not the primary cause of the sideswipe collision, you will likely be able to recover some compensation for your losses and injuries. Any financial damages you would receive would be reduced in proportion to the amount of fault attributable to you.
Aretsky Law Group, P.C. is experienced in and dedicated to helping Bergen County victims of sideswipe collisions recover the compensation they need. Speak with our compassionate firm today about your legal rights by calling 800-537-4154.Ridgewood Location
45 N Broad St #19
Ridgewood, NJ 07450